Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Yet another night

Well, I have not cooked much lately.  It's Tuesday night and I last cooked last Thursday night?  Is that right?  No.  Sunday night.  Last Thursday night, the girls made dinner again.  I remember it was good and chicken but I don't remember what it was.  Hmmm.  Sunday, I made lemon crusted chicken with smashed red potatoes.  The potatoes were not part of the recipe but I've got to say, I am totally into these taters.  I put some lemon juice into the mashers with some garlic butter and sour cream.  Who wouldn't be in to that??

Last night, I worked until 7:15, still had to hit Target so the hubby talked me ( you can guess how hard he had to try!) into Applebees.  I love that 2 for $20 menu!  I always get the sirloin, and while it adds some cost, I have them put the parmesan shrimp on top.  It is so good.  And, I got smashed red potatoes - told you I was into them!  Plus, even though they totally aren't good for you and have about a million calories and are a total guy food, I love buffalo chicken bites.  I use that word a lot - Love - but what else can I call it?

So, I haven't been cooking much because, over the weekend, my daughter's high school cheer team competed in the State competition.  So, we had pizza on Friday night before we headed out of town and went out to dinner on Saturday night while we were still out of town.  Then ate Applebees last night.  Love eating out!!

The reason I started this  project is because I hate those periods of indecision of what to make for dinner. Tonight, I was flipping through the book, really not feeling it.  So, I went to an old stand by with a bit of Rachael Ray thrown in.  Okay, ready for the recipe?  You need around 5 boneless chicken breasts (I'm feeding five), slice them into strips or tenders and put two tablespoons of your favorite Caeser salad dressing over the chicken to coat.  Heat a skillet with two tablespoons of butter.  Heat a pot of water to boil.Slice an onion and red pepper. Once the butter is browning, throw in the chicken, wait a minute, turn the chicken and add onion and red pepper.  Add 3-4 cloves of minced or crushed garlic.  Add a pound of pasta (I used farfalle or bowties) to the boiling water and salt it. Stir chicken mixture to keep it from sticking and to help it cook evenly. In the last five minutes of the pasta, add two cups of fresh broccoli to the boiling pot.  To the chicken mixture, add a cup of baby spinach, 10 leaves of fresh basil and a 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper.  Add one jar of your favorite alfredo sauce (cheating, I know, but it is so good!) to the chicken mixture to heat it through.  Drain the pasta.  Put some pasta into a bowl and top with the chicken alfredo.  Serve with some crusty bread and a Pinot Grigio.  It was really good, I gotta say!

Daughter needs the computer so I've got to go.  I will try to keep up a little better.
Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment