Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 5

Tonight, it was London Broil with Mushroom Vinaigrette. If you've read my first post, you know that mushrooms are a no no in my house. And, when I went to the store for shoulder/london broil, I had no luck. Wierd, I know, but that's the way it goes. So, I bought some sirloin instead.

This recipe didn't have any kind of starch (bread, pasta, etc.) and it was suggested to be served with spinach salad. Hmmm. Not great for kids, so I made my own recipe which my kids love, love, love and it's so simple, we actually make this when we are camping. Pull out your electric skillet, turn it to 350, put 2 tablespoons of butter in and let it start to brown. Add one sliced or diced onion and take 4 -5 potatoes, peel them or not, and use your mandolin to slice them very thinly directly into the pan. If you don't have a mandolin, you have my sympathies....put it on your Christmas list because, trust me, you will love it and it will make your life so much easier. Slice the potatoes as thinly as you can if you are mandolin-less. Put the lid on, flip them every 5 minutes or so, let them brown and they're done when they're done. Oh, salt and pepper the potatoes after they have all gone in. So easy and yet so good.

As for Rachael's recipe... I didn't put the mushrooms in so maybe that would have added liquid, I don't know, but it needed more liquid so I put a bit of half and half in that I bought for another recipe. And, I added a tablespoon of prepared horseradish because I thought I would like it. It was quite tasty but the sauce looked kind of icky. My kids tried some, agreed it was flavorful, which it really was, but were discouraged by all the green parsely floating in this lumpy (from the onion and chopped garlic) sauce. It reminded me of a much stronger-flavored bearnaise sauce. It was tasty and a little went a long way.

That's what I'm finding so far - lots of flavor in these recipes. Tomorrow night is a busy night for me. Pick up my girls, go to class, come home and make dinner around 7 pm. So, with that in mind, and the sausage that I bought for my son's birthday breakfast that needs eaten, it's Fancy-Pants Bangers n Mash! See you then!

Bon noir!
(Okay, the French...my family on my father's and my mother's side has heavy French influences. Plus, as a sub, I taught French for about 7 weeks last year. So, it's in my blood and my life. Not trying to be pretentious....just fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment