Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fancy Pants Bangers 'n' Mash

As I was making dinner tonight, realizing that I don't have any red wine because we drank the last bottle last night, and as I was improvising once again - I don't think I have made a single recipe exactly as it's written, I wondered what would Rachael Ray say about that?

So, no red wine and I needed it for a sauce with onions and sausage. In cooking the sausage, I wasn't getting any fat coming out, which I would need to cook the onions and garlic. So, I had a brilliant, beyond brilliant idea. I threw in 3 slices of bacon into the skillet with the sausage and used that fat for the onions and added sweet peppers and green beans (this is a favorite of mine.) In the mashed red potatoes, I put in the 3 slices of bacon!! Oh, how awesome was that! So delish.

My peppers, onions and green beans recipe is super easy. Just slice the peppers and onions. Heat some EVOO on high heat in a non-stick frying pan and throw in the peppers and onions. After about 5 minutes, put in the frozen green beans. Let everything brown just a bit (almost like they're grilled) and then drizzle about two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar over everything. Love this with zucchini too. Tonight, the recipe called for chicken stock so I put some of that in as it tames the spicyness of the balsamic vinegar. It was quite good.

I loaded the pasta bowls with the red-skinned mashed potatoes, put some of the veggie mix on one side and the sausages on top. It was quite good.

Tomorrow, we're having some salmon. We tend to center our dinners around the meat and I love how many different options I've been able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment