Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bus Ride

Last night, I did not cook. Here's why: Yesterday morning, Feb. 5th, Ellen and I left the house at 6:45 in the morning, drove to school to meet her cheerleading team to hop onto a bus and drive to Toledo for a cheerleading competition. On the way there, I fell asleep and when I awoke, it was snowing. We got lost but with the help of a cheerleader's GPS via her cell phone, we made it.

I spent the day watching cheerleaders go through their routines, do back handsprings, tucks, cartwheels, etc. and sometimes was forced to watch cheerleaders make grotesque faces called "spirit faces." If you've never seen this, oh my! The girls contort their faces to exaggerated smiles, 'Ooh' faces, winks, and such to the point that they look like they have some sort of disease that makes their faces into something like your mother warned you your face would freeze that way if you didn't stop making that expression. Seriously. The first time I saw this, I was so appalled that, without thinking, I literally said out loud, 'What's wrong with their faces?' and the lady in front of me said, "I know. They're trained to do that!" Oh, it is so ugly and it lowers the perception of IQ for all women kind. You just have to try to avert your eyes when you watch.

Anyway, our girls performed, did pretty well except they did drop one stunt but they made enough points to go to states. Then came the ride home. By this time, the snow was coming down heavily and there were six inches of snow on top of the bus. We started down the road, following another bus that was headed our way and at one point, I thought there was a white out because we couldn't see it. No. It was that the driver's window was so foggy that we couldn't see the bus that was 20 feet in front of us. So, the driver turns on this little fan and uses tissues to wipe it off. Why she needed us to say something before she did anything about it was a concern. But, we want to trust her, right? Well, then the window fogs up again and snow covers the out side of the window because the wiper is not working properly and she literally cannot see out the window and is still driving us! For 3 and a half hours, we drove like this, stopping twice so she can use a broom to know the snow off the front of the bus. It normally takes an hour and a half to get to Toledo and we more than doubled that time. Meanwhile, we are seeing cars spun out on the side of the road, cars are spinning out in front of us and we all are thinking we are going to die. I could see the headline now - "School Bus Careens Off Road, Killing Cheerleading Team. Oh, dear God, it was so scary. And, honestly, I think it was all our prayers that saved us.

So, we got home late, the girls had a game to cheer for so we all just stayed and I didn't get home until 10:30. It was a little late to make dinner. Such a long day. And we are so tired of the snow. Every day it snows. I need to move to Phoenix. I really, really do.

Okay, I will make a new post for tonight's dinner.
Bonne nuit

No comments:

Post a Comment