Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ice storm

Well, as the title implies, we had an ice storm yesterday which knocked out our phone, cable and internet.  We're back up and running today and are privy to an absolutely beautiful show.  The trees look like they have been dipped in silver or are made of cut glass.  The sun was out, the sky was blue and the trees shone like angel's wings.  Gorgeous!

So, about cooking.  Saturday night, as I said before, we had Brandon's birthday party and we just had pizza.  Sunday night, I made Schnitzel.  Yes, there is a recipe for schnitzel in the Rachael Ray cookbook, which appears to be a type of fried chicken cutlet with nutmeg.  Who knew? I did not, however, have it with noodles even though I danced around my house singing "My Favorite Things" over and over again at the total embarrassment of my three teenage children! (After all, one of the joys of being a parent of teenage children is watching their eyes roll with embarrassment! I have to admit though, that my kids are so used to my antics that it takes more and more to get them to do it.)

I did not cook last night, Monday night, as I worked until 7:00 and my daughter had a game so my husband fed them...pizza again!  Oh, well.  It just makes them appreciate Mommy more.  Even if she does dance around the kitchen singing the same song over and over again! They like pizza but they are not the pizza-all-the-time kind of kids so they probably would have preferred something else if I were home.  Tonight, my husband is away on business and I have no idea what to make.  Usually, this is our take night.  Ken is not gone very often but I do tend to lose my motivation to cook when he isn't here.  And, if it wasn't so cold out, I think I would be tempted.  But, my kids, like the pizza example, aren't really that normal when it comes to eating.  They don't really like McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's.  And, since Taco Bell has grossed out everyone, they really don't want that either.  There's a KFC close but my daughter read that they mistreat their chickens so that's out too.  Chinese food is good but too far away.  So.  I have to go to Rachael Ray, which, honestly, is why I started this whole thing to begin with.  That and I like to write about nothing...  ;)

Okay, I'm off to peruse the cookbook.  I'm thinking chicken.  Mostly because we have chicken.

bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment