Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday morning

It's Saturday morning and I am finishing my second cup of coffee.  Ahhhhhh!  The sun is out but it's in the 30's - still cold but at least it looks warm.

We've had two Rachael Ray dinners but I haven't written about either one of them:
Thursday, my soon to be 16 year old daughters, born on the Ides of March (boy, is THAT a story!), made Chicken Francese.  Can I say how awesome it was that they made it?  It was very good.  The sauce didn't make much but it was enough for my husband and I - the kids don't like anything remotely sweet and were afraid the wine would sweeten it enough for them not to like it.  They liked the chicken, though.

Last night, I made pan roasted garlic and herb chicken.  Rachael suggested making a salad but I made smashed red-skinned potatoes instead.  And, made up a recipe as I went.  The recipe calls for browning the chicken in an oven-safe skillet and I don't have one of those, so I pre-heated a stone roasting pan and, after browning the chicken, I transferred it to the roaster.  Well, I couldn't let all those little bits go to waste in the bottom of the pan, so I added some butter and flour, let that cook a minute, and added a little sweet vermouth (I'm out of wine!  Tragedy!).  Then, I put some chicken broth and even a little half and half.  While this sauce was bubbling, I put in some green beans that we had grown, blanched and frozen last summer.  I added all the herbs that were used to marinade the chicken as well.  It was quite good.  My husband loved it!

Tonight, my son is having his birthday party...His birthday is January 23rd and it's February 19th.  Yeah, just a little late!  But, it always comes so quickly after Christmas, trying to set it up, get kids to come, etc. rarely works out.  Anyway, it's going to be pizza tonight.  I doubt I will cook anything today other than breakfast which is done and over with.

Okay, let me just tell you how to make the best scrambled eggs ever.  First off, you need a really good non-stick pan.  Warm the pan to medium heat and grease it with butter.  Take an egg or two in a bowl, add a sprinkle of salt, pepper and water and beat vigourously for a minute or so.  Put the eggs in the hot pan and constantly move them around.  It will take about 30 seconds to cook them.  The secret is to keep them moving by folding them in over themselves.  They are so tender and delicious!  I adapted this from a YouTube video of Julia Child making an omelette.  Don't let the egg brown.  If it browns, it's overdone.  Try it!

So, for breakfast, I made eggs, bacon (in the electric skillet and it comes out just perfect!) and pancakes.  I added chocolate chips to mine because I can.  So, two cups of coffee, chocolate chip pancakes, eggs, bacon...that is what I call a Saturday morning!!

Have a great rest of your day!
Bon Jour!

No comments:

Post a Comment