Tuesday, February 8, 2011

busy, busy, busy

Well, here I go adjusting again. Oiy. I didn't cook last night and I made myself a grilled cheese for dinner tonight. Why? Well, last night, I got home from work around 7:30 and my daughters were off in two different directions. Only my son was home and he had made some pasta. So, I poured some jarred sauce on it, baked some chicken nuggets, put some Parmesan cheese on...Voila - dinner.

Tonight, I got home at 7:05 and Audrey had to leave in 25 minutes for basketball practice with Ken, my husband so he put some burgers on the George Foreman and out the door they went.

I had class tonight and we were talking about modern literature. Today, we're in the post-modern era. (Wonder what comes after that??) In Modernism, they wrote about their disillusionment and discontentment about the way the world worked. For the first time, the lowest classes had a voice because they could read and write and they could talk about their struggles. It's an interesting to think that we go through our lives thinking that we can work hard, achieve more, become successful but it doesn't always work out that way, does it?

I don't think of myself as successful in a career. I have a marketing degree, was a retail manager for several years, worked as an ad rep for a radio station, moved back to my hometown, worked again in retail at a cookie store and then, I had twins. I would have paid two-thirds of my salary to day care so I stayed home instead. I worked part-time as a cookie store shift supervisor, ended up with my own store when my girls were two and got pregnant because I was so busy, I didn't have time to go to the pharmacy. Since then, I have had several part-time jobs but nothing that leads me into full time work. So, I started on a teaching degree. And, each year, the state of Ohio adds new requirements so that I will spend around $40,000 by the time I am done. That's more than a year's salary. I have wanted to work full time for quite awhile but nothing ever pans out. For example, I had two friends/acquaintances who offered to help me at a company that had a job that I would have been perfect for but the company was bought out by another company and the position was eliminated before they interviewed anyone for it. It's always something.
Right now, I am working three jobs and going to school and raising a family. So to say if you work hard, you will have success in a career isn't necessarily true. I'm proof of that. But, I also think it has a lot to do with stay at home moms. I have many friends who have had a very difficult time finding work. Now, I'm 43. Who wants to hire a 43 year old on an entry level job and put them on a career track? It just doesn't work, does it? So, what's a girl to do? Blog about it, I guess.

Tomorrow, I have some free time after class so I will go through the cookbook, plan out menus and go shopping so I have the ingredients. I don't want to do too many fish dishes because I will need those when Lent comes around...that's if I don't work the fish frys.

Well, off to study.
Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment