Sunday, February 13, 2011

German food

On Friday night, we had a rivalry high school basketball game and we needed a quick dinner before we left.  So, I made Rachael's German Potato salad with Kielbasa.  It was good.  I especially liked the potato salad.  Having German roots, Germany's warm potato salad has been a staple at family gatherings for as long as I can remember but the family recipe was a bit too vinegary for my taste.  And, I have spoiled German food taste.

How does that happen?  How can anyone possible have spoiled German food tastes?  Can anyone actually be a Germanic food connoisseur?  Yes they can!  How you ask? Well, in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio, there is a little place called German Village with square little brick houses, brick lined streets, a fudge house and, most importantly, Schmidt's Sausage Haus.  Oh, yeah, baby.  This place made sausage back in the 1800's but is now a German tavern with great beer, sauerkraut, German potato salad, and, oh yeah, sausage.  Almost kind you can think of, they make it.  My favorite is still the bratwurst but most of my family prefers the 'Bahama Mama' which is a spicy-hot sausage that can make a grown man sweat.  Top em with a little kraut, horseradish, spicy mustard and a side of the potato salad and you are good to go.

They often have live bands there too which, add some German beer, and you have got a germanic smile the rest of the  night.  Did I mention the waitresses dress like the St. Pauli Girl?  Now, not all of them are petite little frauleins - there are some definite fraus in the bunch but it's still fun.

And, as if this wasn't enough to make you call a cab the next time you are in downtown Columbus, Ohio, this should do the trick...cream puffs.  Cream puffs the size of a toddler's head filled with luscious, wait for it, cream!  So good and definitely big enough to share.  Everytime I go, though, there is a debate....cream puff or cherry tart?  You think I'm kidding about the debate?  Oh no, my friend, it takes some serious contemplating.  The cherry tarts are like mini cheesecakes and convinced me very early in my life that cream cheese was one of the best things on earth.  You could just get one of each if 1.) you have a very big appetite.2.) desserts are your thing and you just gotta or 3.) you have someone who is just as desperate as you to have both and is willing to share.

So, if you are ever in Columbus, ask about Schmidt's - everyone knows it.  Everyone loves it!  You have to go.  Now, back to Rachael's recipe.  Her German potato salad was more like Schmidt's which makes it a good thing because Schmidt's german potato salad really is a favorite of mine and if I can sneak closer to the recipe than my German family, haha, so much the better.

Okay, it's still Valentine's day weekend and it's pajama day at Edible's as we try to make up all those arrangements for love sick puppies, sweetheart grandma's and those desperate to stay out of the dog house.  And, we expect to take loads of phone calls from panicked boyfriends who are so afraid of that foretold doggie den, you can hear them sweating over the phone.  So I have to go shower, put on clean jammies and head off to work. where I will sample the chocolate covered banana.  Be jealous!

Bon Jour!

No comments:

Post a Comment